Our story began in 1889, when founder George P. Pulakos started selling his handmade candies from his home and from the pushcart he navigated along the streets of Philadelphia. In 1903, he moved to Erie, Pennsylvania where his passion for crafting Old World chocolates from the freshest ingredients led him to open the first of his three stores on the town’s bustling State Street.
Pulakos settled his flagship store into a beautiful building at 926 State Street in 1916. That location remained the base of operations until 1971. This original downtown location inspired Mr. Pulakos to weave the address into our brand name, and introduced thousands of people to one-of-a-kind confections like our famous marshmallow.
Four generations of Pulakos owners made their mark on the company over the years. In that time, they opened four stores and operated three bakeries and a restaurant before relocating the main store and manufacturing facility to 26th and Parade Street. Pulakos still operates out of this location today, in addition to our locations at 410 French Street and in the Starbucks Plaza outside of the Millcreek Mall. We are a company that continues to win new fans more than one hundred years after George P. Pulakos opened his first store. While we're always changing, we’re still committed to our customers. We work hard to honor the recipes and traditions that people have come to know and love for the last 110 years. As trends come to an end and new ones emerge, we continue to honor our past and look to the future.